Since the 1st January, 2009 BER ratings are required for any existing buildings offered for sale or rent, regardless of the age of the building. This means that if a property is re-let or sold, it must have a BER Certificate.


What is a BER Certificate?

A BER certificate indicates your building's energy performance and is very similar to the energy label for household appliances. Your building is rated on a scale of A-G, A-Rated homes are the most energy-efficient and will most likely have the lowest energy bills. G-Rated buildings are the least energy efficient so you can expect to pay more in energy bills than you would for an A-Rated home.  


Guidelines for selling or renting

When offering a property for sale or rent you must ensure that:

The current BER rating for the building is stated in all advertisements. All advertisements platforms, public announcements in newspapers, magazines, brochures, leaflets, advertising notices, vehicles, radio, television, internet (including apps and social media), and direct mail.

  • Prospective buyers and renters can see the BER rating prominently in all advertisements
  • If images of the property are used, the BER rating type displayed should be the BER Alphanumeric Rating Motif for the particular property.


Legal requirement

The BER advertising requirements are set out in the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations found in the Irish Statute Book (S.I. 243 of 2012).


The following buildings do not require a BER or DEC:                                                                                                                                      

  • national monuments;
  • protected structures or proposed protected structures;
  • places of worship or buildings used for the religious activities of any religion;
  • certain temporary buildings;
  • industrial buildings not intended for extended human occupancy with a low installed heating capacity (≤10 W/m2);
  • non-residential agricultural buildings with a low installed heating capacity (≤10 W/m2);
  • stand-alone buildings with a small useful floor area (<50m2).”


How do I get a BER Certificate? 

In order to get a BER Certificate, you will need to organise a BER assessment of the building. Please ensure that your assessments are carried out by registered BER Assessors who have the following:

  • Registered with SEAI
  • Passed the SEAI BER Assessor exam
  • Appropriate building-related qualifications


Are you looking to get a BER Assessment for your building?

If you are looking to get a BER Assessment please get in touch with Anita Galbraith our qualified Building Energy Rating (BER) assessor. Anita is registered with SEAI (Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland) and can assist you with your required BER service – property sale, property rental, property energy advice, property insulation upgrades including SEAI grant schemes.

If you would like to make an enquiry please give us a call on +353 74 93 62 300 or drop us a line at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


Architects donegal

The MGA Difference

Our renowned team of architecture and building professionals work hard to ensure every project undertaken is given upmost care and commitment. You can rest assured we aim to enure all clients are satisfied.

More About Us


"Excellent architectural firm and surveying service provider" 

Wild Atlantic Wanderer
Back to Top

MG Architects, Millbrae House, Lower Main Street, Buncrana, Co. Donegal

Phone: +353 74 93 62300  | Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© 2021 Michael Galbraith Associates